Sunday, January 20, 2008

Remembering Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.



Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. (b. 1929, d. 1968)
Photo by Bob Fitch / Black Star (1966)

Every now and then I guess we all think realistically about that day when we will be victimized with what is life's final common denominator—that something that we call death. We all think about it. And every now and then I think about my own death and I think about my own funeral. And I don't think of it in a morbid sense. And every now and then I ask myself, "What is it that I would want said?" And I leave the word to you this morning.

I'd like somebody to mention that day that Martin Luther King, Jr., tried to give his life serving others.

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Mt. Pisgah Missionary Baptist Church
Chicago, Illinois
February 4, 1968


Two months after giving this sermon, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated in Memphis, Tennesee.




The Autobiography of
Martin Luther King, Jr.

Labels: , ,

Links to this post:

Create a Link

 

<< Home