Monday, August 13, 2007

The Destruction of the Lion of Babylon In Basra



© Queen Amidala / Basra, Iraq

By Queen Amidala
Basra, Iraq


Basrawis,

Do you remember the Lion of Babylon statue at Al-Watan Street? Two weeks ago, the insurgents decided the statue might be a threat to them in "some way or another." So, they blew it up during the night as you can see in the attached photo.

Only a year ago, the city council decided to rehab the statue because it's considered a symbol of all the real and true Basrawis. So, they painted it, surrounded it by plants and a fence. The statue was constructed before I was even born. I hoped -- or thought -- it would survive for as long as Basra exists.

Its a shame that such a statue had been destroyed. What will they destroy next? What's in their minds? What else is on their list? Probably the statue of Al-Sayab?

BTW, a new assassination phase has started in Basra. Some very good people have been killed lately. People who are worth million of times more than many politicians who achieves NOTHING.

I can't write about how I feel anymore. Words are blocked in my brain, and there are thousands of them. I can't describe how I felt when I heard of the statue's destruction. The photo says it better than me.

Take care,

-- Queen Amidala

Labels: , , ,

Links to this post:

Create a Link

 

<< Home