Monday, May 28, 2007

Petition For Freedom of Travel For Iraqi Women



© Nisreen - Baghdad / Iraq


After the fall of Saddam's regime in 2003, his law that prohibited Iraqi women from traveling abroad without a male guardian was abolished. The news was a welcome relief for Iraqi women.

When I left Iraq in 1994, my dad had to accompany me to Jordan. If my dad wasn't alive, my travel arrangement would had been more complicated because my three brothers left the country before me.

With Saddam's long history of bullying his neighboring countries, many families lost all their male members. Many women couldn't leave the country because of this discriminatory travel law against them.

The current Iraqi government is wanting to enforce a similar law. The government wants to prevent issuing passports to Iraqi women without the consent of a male guardian. We're in the 21st century and the Iraqi government continues to drag Iraq back to the Middle Ages. And, people wonder why Iraqi women aren't happy these days.

Iraq of Tomorrow has started a petition to demand the abolition of the new law that discriminates against Iraqi women. I was so pleased to see the signatures of many Iraqi men who oppose this law. It gives hope that Iraq may rise again from the ashes.

The petition is written in Arabic. If you don't read Arabic, click on the Google translation button. It gives a fairly good translation of the petition. Please, spread the word about this petition among your family and friends. Iraqi women need your help.

Labels: , , ,

Links to this post:

Create a Link

 

<< Home