Monday, February 12, 2007

The Love That May Unite Us Again

Lately, I've been caught between two good friends who have turned into enemies. Years ago, my two friends rarely noticed their differences. Four years ago, they turned into rivals. Instead of cherishing what brought them closer, they started to focus on their differences. Those two friends are the Iraqi Shia and Sunnis.

I find it harder by the day to write about Iraqi affairs. How could I write about Iraqi affairs without hurting one friend or the other? But, I can't ignore this subject anymore. I can't watch them both reach the edge of the cliff without giving my two cents worth of advice.

It all started with the question of who has the right to rule Iraq. Ruling Iraq turned into a matter of secular vs. religious government and a majority vs. minority issue. Shouldn't the best and most non-sectarian candidates rule Iraq? Unfortunately, that wasn't the case during the last election when both sides voted for the most extreme among them. The whole election process gave rise to the extremists candidates in Iraq. Then, things got worse from there.

Now, there's a new phenomena on the rise. The phenomena of who had suffered the most during Saddam's era and who's suffering the most in post-Saddam era. For an outsider like myself, I say all Iraqis suffered during Saddam's era and all Iraqis are suffering in post-Saddam era. There are no winners in Iraq. There were never any winners in Iraq.

Iraqi blogger Hala, who's definitely madly in love with Iraq, wrote painfully:

No one knows the face of Iraq when the dust settles, but I know that most of us have failed in the most important test….the test of Love.

We can heal Iraq if we love it more than we love our tribe or religious sector.

I could continue this post by listing the outside parties which contributed to our failure to lift Iraq above our differences. However, instead of blaming "others" for my problems, I always ask myself where did I go wrong? I leave Iraqis with the same question, When and where did we go wrong? How could we fix the situation before it's too late?

Labels: ,

Links to this post:

Create a Link

 

<< Home