Friday, March 10, 2006

Iraqi Women Are What !!!!!!

I lived in Iraq the first 28 years of my life. Never during those years did I hear someone telling me NOT to look directly into a man's eyes. I never heard Iraqi men consider any woman who does that a whore. But, according to Washington Post reporter Jackie Spinner, that's the rule in Iraq.

Yesterday while at a bookshop, I browsed her book on Iraq. She starts the book with a list of advise for Western women who wish to work in Iraq. She advises those women not look directly into the eyes of Iraqi men because he would consider the woman a whore. This is the most ridiculous advise I've heard lately. Reading it made me close the book and put back on the bookshelf.

The thing that Jackie and other well informed Western journalists don't know is that many Iraqi men fall in love with a woman giving them that same look she describes as improper by Iraqi standards.

I'm so glad I grew up in a family where women were encouraged to be themselves, fall in love and pursue their dreams the way they wish. I'm glad my female friends, Muslims and Christians, grew up in similar environments. I'm glad I never heard her advise while I lived in Iraq.

I wonder how many Iraqi men agrees with her statement. I also wonder how many Westerners will consider her advise a plain fact.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

 

<< Home