Monday, March 27, 2006

The “Dream Deferred” Essay Contest

I should have promoted this contest weeks ago. But, I've been very busy lately. I can't even find the time to blog regularly.

HAMSA - Hands Across The Mideast Support Alliance have organized an essay contest:

This essay contest takes its title from a 1951 poem by Langston Hughes: What Happens to a Dream Deferred?. The poem helped propel the civil rights movement in the United States. Today, it will hopefully inspire you to describe your dream deferred for the Middle East, which the United Nations calls the world's least free region.

Read the contest guidelines and details...


Among the judges for this contest are Azar Nafisi, Ammar Abdulhamid and Mahmood Al-Yousif.

I'm cheering for Nouri Lumendifi to win one of the prizes. The Middle East would become a better place when people grow up and be like Nouri. I know he doesn't live in Algeria any more. But, his bright opinions in Middle Eastern affairs keep attracting me to his blog. I'm starting to sound like a cheerleader!!!


What happens to a dream deferred?

Does it dry up
like a raisin in the sun?
Or fester like a sore--
And then run?
Does it stink like rotten meat?
Or crust and sugar over--
like a syrupy sweet?

Maybe it just sags
like a heavy load.

Or does it explode?

-- Langston Hughes, 1951

Links to this post:

Create a Link

 

<< Home