Saturday, September 17, 2005

Basra In Black and White

This weekend, I officially start my birthday week. Yes, I span it over a week. What's better than to remind yourself you're getting older next week. And, since most of this week's news was really depressing, I decided to fulfill my promise from last week and publish more black and white pictures from sweet home Basra.



© Fayrouz Hancock

This picture is from late fifties. That's my beautiful mom with the kid looking at the camera. It looks like Abu-Khasib or somewhere near it. It was one of my favorite picnic spots. You'd have your picnic by the river. You'd be surrounded by palm trees and water. Deep green color is(was) the trademark of the area.



© Fayrouz Hancock

This picture is from early sixties. How do I know? I'm missing from that picture. This is the typical picnic day. According to my mom, they would make dolma, stuffed grape leaves, and take off to Shat Al-Arab for a small picnic during the warm days of winter and spring.

This could be called the United Iraq picture. The woman sitting in the middle is an Iraqi Jew. She married an Iraqi Muslim and lived happily after in Basra until she died a few years ago. The boys and the young ladies are my siblings and her kids. We grew up as one family. So, it really doesn't matter who's who. Her youngest son, Ali, died during Iran-Iraq war. If I'm not wrong, he's the one standing at the far right. I hope one of her other kids bumps into this site and sees this picture. My family misses them very much and would like to hear from them.



© Fayrouz Hancock

This is from the early seventies. That's me and my little sister.

A beautiful spring afternoon spent in Jazeera Al-Sinbad (Sinbad's Island). I love this section of the Island. It's a small maze over water. Notice the palm trees. Yes, they're everywhere in Basra.



© Fayrouz Hancock

And last, my favorite picture of all. The annual September task of the making home-made wine. The picture explains itself. We would make enough wine for the whole year. But, the barrels would be kept unopened until Christmas time.

Then came Iran-Iraq war and Basra changed from a city of laughter to a city of ghosts. The rest is history that's been repeated many times.


UPDATE 09/19/2005
I went to Texas Gatorfest 2005 on Saturday. Here are a few of the photos I shot at the festival.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

 

<< Home