Tuesday, August 02, 2005

It happened Again

UPDATE 08/03/2005 5:05AM
Steve Vincent, our man from Basra, has been shot to death in Basra. The Associated Press reported:

BAGHDAD, Iraq - An American freelance journalist was found dead in the southern Iraqi city of Basra, the U.S. Embassy said Wednesday.

Police said Steven Vincent had been shot multiple times after he and his Iraqi translator were abducted at gunpoint hours earlier.

"I can confirm to you that officials in Basra have recovered the body of journalist Steven Vincent," said embassy spokesman Pete Mitchell. "The U.S. Embassy is working with British military and local Iraqi officials in Basra to determine who is responsible for the death of this journalist. Our condolences go out to the family."

Read more...

I'm shaking while writing this update. When I received my friend's e-mail yesterday, I had a bad feeling that something will happen to Vincent. I wish I didn't have that thought at the time. But, I can't stop my six sense from alerting me.

Steve Vincent reported ugly acts of the militia via his great blog, "In The Red Zone." He also published a book titled "In The Red Zone."

I don't feel like blogging any more. What's the point of writing about what's happening in Basra every time I can while Muqdy's militia and all the other dumb militias that control Basra are still roaming the city and making people's life a hell.

Read Vincent's last published articles before the thugs silenced his voice:

On Again, Off Again. A power problem in Basra.

Switched Off in Basra.


ORIGINAL POST 08/02/2005
This morning, I received this e-mail from my friend in Basra:

It happened again

I wanted to tell you what happened yesterday.

Another girl has been shot to death yesterday morning while she was going to her work with her fiance' at one of the American organizations in Basra.

She was 25 years old and she is a Muslim. Her fiance was also injured while trying to protect her.....It so much reminded me of my loss last year.

Now, I know when they say that "you opened a deep wound." It opened again.

The situation in Basra is beginning to get very bad. It started three weeks ago when police cars made an announcement that watermelon are poisoned. The next day, they killed a university teacher inside the university itself with his brother. Then, they bombed a barber shop and two other shops damaged near it. Then the incident of bombing the Brits security guys. And, yesterday gun shots at the port and killing this girl and injuring her fiance.

No one knows what will happen next...WHO IS NEXT????

I don't want to live here anymore..This is a bloody land since the beginning of the human race.

Let me give you some background about my friend. My friend went through too much pain last year when her best friend was killed with a sister in front of their house. Their crime? They worked for a British company.

Since then, I hooked her with an American pen-pal who has been acting as her friend, sister and therapist since that incident. She was back to herself after long discussions about life and death. Now, we're back to point zero.

BTW, The Muslim lady sent me part one of the answers to the questions. I'll publish them tomorrow.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

 

<< Home