Wednesday, June 29, 2005

What's Happening In Basra

Sorry for the long absence. I missed you all.

We came back from our break yesterday evening. My brother-in-law's computer crashed right after we arrived in Dallas. So, I didn't have an Internet connection while we were in Dallas. There was good news for him, he called Hewlett-Packard on Monday afternoon, and they delivered the recovery disks the next morning. That's outstanding customer service from HP.

Before I left to Dallas, Big pharaoh sent me a link from an Iraqi newspaper that reported the closing of Al-Sadr's offices in Basra. I sent the news to my friend in Basra. She sent me back this reply:

Sorry I didn't get your message on time. My computer was not working for the past 2 days, and I was kind of busy.

But, I've asked at that time about this special news. Were the offices of Al-Sader closed in Basra?

The answer was no. I asked it without even seeing this letter and the answer was no.

Maybe in other cities like Najaf and Karbela because they say that he joined the Sunnis' movement, and they don't want him anymore in the Shias LINK.

Do you know that there is another movement in Basra which call themselves (BAQI'EAT ALLAH Movement) and they named themselves as the Lions of Iraq. They printed the name of this movement in every wall in Basrah and said that they don't have any connection with the other movements in Basra or Iraq. It's also an Islamic movement.

So, as you can see even if Al-Sader is out of there, 10 more will move in. It's no use. It's in their heads to destroy things that I cannot see it in another people. Islamic or not. No matter what you do. No matter how much good things you do for them, they still have bad souls, thinking bad thoughts (DIRTY THOUGHTS might be the right word).

The Dallas Morning News published an article about the situation in Basra:

Shiite Muslim religious parties that won provincial elections in January have gained almost total control of Basra's government and are imposing an increasingly strict code of Islamic behavior on the population. The police force, dominated by the same religious groups, is enforcing religious decrees that have little or no basis in law, residents say.

Residents of Basra, an overwhelmingly Shiite Muslim city of 1.5 million residents, say they never intended such a result when they defied insurgent death threats to participate in historic elections in January. But they said they expect religious groups to tighten their control and further restrict freedoms now that they hold positions of power.

"We voted because we wanted to challenge the terrorists. We raised our voice to say that we wanted this government," said Qusay Abdulmahdi Abdurrudah, a Basra baker. Having seen the religious parties in action, however, "I regret voting for them," he said.

Read more...

Here's my prediction for the next Iraqi elections. The religious parties will lose MANY votes. The Sunnis and minorities will participate in big numbers. Some Iraqis won't be pleased with the results. But, it will definitely drive Iraq in a different and better direction.

Each time I read the news from Basra, I keep wondering how the Kurds got it right while parts of Iraq are drifting to a very conservative society. It may have to do with the geography and climate of Kurdistan.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

 

<< Home