Thursday, May 05, 2005

To Go or Not To Go

 
I received the following e-mail from an American soldier:

I'm having a real problem. I'd like an honest opinion. I was in the first Gulf War with the Marine Corps. I got out in 92. I'm 44 with six children and a wife. I want to go back to Iraq so bad it hurts. I want to be part of what's going on over there. I spent 12 years in the Corps. Some say I've done my time and my part. But I can't help feeling like I'm letting my brothers down by not being there. ISN'T THAT INSANE. Please reply.

I e-mailed him back my opinion. I appreciate your opinions too, especially the ones with family members serving in Iraq.

And, here's a picture you won't find in our newspapers. The picture is of a U.S. Army soldier comforting an Iraqi child fatally wounded in a car bomb blast in Mosul.


Photo by Michael Yon


Thanks Lisa for providing the link to the story behind the picture:

Major Mark Bieger found this little girl after the car bomb that attacked our guys while kids were crowding around. The soldiers here have been angry and sad for two days. They are angry because the terrorists could just as easily have waited a block or two and attacked the patrol away from the kids. Instead, the suicide bomber drove his car and hit the Stryker when about twenty children were jumping up and down and waving at the soldiers. Major Bieger, I had seen him help rescue some of our guys a week earlier during another big attack, took some of our soldiers and rushed this little girl to our hospital. He wanted her to have American surgeons and not to go to the Iraqi hospital. She didn't make it. I snapped this picture when Major Bieger ran to take her away. He kept stopping to talk with her and hug her.

Read more...

Nancy has more on this picture.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

 

<< Home