Monday, May 30, 2005

Happy Memorial Day

 
** Scroll down for updates.

Happy Memorial Day everyone. I should've posted earlier during the day. But, I read Desert Island Boy's post and I thought nothing can top his words:

...
I have made the acquaintances of many who have or currently serve in the US military. I've worked with a handful of them, and a few I even count as friends. I've yet to meet a certain two-star general, but I did take his daughter out a few times. Nearly all of them have left me with nothing but the best of impressions. I may not share the same values, see things the same way or have the same passions as many of them do, but I have never felt like I was not in the presence of some of the finest individuals on the face of the planet. And just about every single one of them has some cockamamie story or another.

Read more...


Today, I thank the Iraqi people who fell victim to the terror acts during the last two years. Iraqis are paying an expensive price for their new and sometimes confusing freedom.

Cuban-American blogger, Mad Tom, described freedom very well in his Memorial Day post:

...freedom and liberty that I enjoy everyday come at a price. No freedom is not free, it's not even cheap, it's comes only to the highest bidder. But yet it's not for sale, and no amount of money can buy it for you. Freedom has it's own currency, it's own markets, and you must pay to play.

Read more...

The daily bombing in Iraq makes us wonder if it was worth the gamble. Maybe this generation won't appreciate it. I only hope the next Iraqi generation can appreciate this generation's sacrifices and struggles.

UPDATE 05/31/2005
I can't understand the logic here:

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. - Everyone agrees that Ligaya Lagman is a Gold Star mother, part of the long line of mournful women whose sons or daughters gave their lives for their country.

Her 27-year-old son, Army Staff Sgt. Anthony Lagman, was killed last year in Afghanistan when his unit came under fire during a mission to drive out remnants of Taliban and al-Qaida forces.

But the largest organization of these women, the American Gold Star Mothers Inc., has rejected Lagman, a Filipino, for membership because — though a permanent resident and a taxpayer — she is not a U.S. citizen.

“There’s nothing we can do because that’s what our organization says: You have to be an American citizen,” national President Ann Herd said Thursday. “We can’t go changing the rules every time the wind blows.”

Read more...

WRONG Ann. You can change the rules because there are many non-citizen mothers of non-citizen men and women serving in the army.

Do me a favor and send the organization an e-mail by clicking on this link.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

 

<< Home