Monday, April 04, 2005

Healing The Soldiers

 
UPDATE 04/06/2005 12:36AM
Thank you all for the comments and links you provided during the last two days. Here are the links for people who don't read the comments section:

DoD Policy Change: Iraq War Veterans to Get Follow-Up Mental Health Evaluations

Posttraumatic Stress Disorder in Veterans over Time

Girls and Counseling

The Soldier's Heart

Sorry for being slow in replying to your comments and e-mails. We're moving next week to Beaumont. So, I have limited time to be around the computer. Not to mention our DSL provider made a mistake and disconnected our DSL this week instead of next week. But, they waived our DSL fees for the next two months because of this mistake. So, I can't complain that much :-)


ORIGINAL POST 04/04/2005
Yesterday, I went to my hairdresser for a hair cut. While she worked on my hair, the customer before me returned to give her a tip. When she left, my hairdresser said, "Her boyfriend shot himself in the head yesterday."

That wasn't a fun subject, but I asked her why he did it. She said he was in the U.S. Air Force and came back from his tour in Iraq a short time ago.

I'm not sure if his tour contributed to his decision to commit suicide. But, from the conversation I had with my hairdresser, he wasn't himself since he came back from Iraq.

I have been thinking since then of this soldier and other soldiers who return from Iraq. Do they get any psychological therapy after returning from their tours? I wish someone could answer this question for me.

I've been angry since yesterday as this incident won't make it to the news. Suicides don't get reported as news by the media whether committed by civilians or soldiers.

I needed to tell you this story to get it out of my system. Someone needs to help these soldiers for the sake of their families and loved ones. I'm not sure how. Maybe someone reading this post would have the answer.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

 

<< Home