Saturday, November 13, 2004

Happy Eid

Today is Eid Al-Fitr for Muslims. Even though I'm a Christian, I grew up in Iraq and this Eid is special for me too. It reminds me of the Iraqi harmony, which existed among Iraqis for many years.

This Eid, most Iraqi bloggers are not in a celebratory mood. To my fellow Iraqi Muslim bloggers, I have the words below for you. They were written by Helen Keller, who was blind and deaf at 19 months of age:

One day I asked a friend of mine who had just returned from a long walk in the woods what she had seen.

She replied, "Nothing in particular."

How was possible? I asked myself, when I, who cannot hear or see, finds hundreds of things to interest me through mere touch. I felt the delicate shape and design of a leaf. I pass my hands lovingly over the rough bark of a pine tree. Occasionally, if I'm lucky, I place my hands on a small tree and feel the happy quiver of a bird in full song.

All this convinced me of one thing:
The greatest calamity that can befall people is not that they should be born blind. But rather that they should have eyes and yet fail to see


Folks, we're young, healthy and educated. We can't let a bunch of terrorists ruin our hope in building a beautiful Iraq. If you give up, what's left for the Christian minority in Iraq? We find our strength in your support and strength. If you lose it, we lose it too.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

 

<< Home