Thursday, November 11, 2004

Falluja and The Sunnis

First, my condolences to the Palestinian people for the death of Yasser Arafat. Most of the world may dislike him. But, we shouldn't ignore his importance to the Palestinian people living in the West Bank. He was their hero. I have high hopes in the new leadership of the PLO. I hope the peace process will resume soon. Both sides of the conflict need to live in peace. I hope this happens during my lifetime.

Second, if you've sent me an e-mail lately and haven't received a reply, don't take it personally. You have no idea how busy I am. I told a cyber-friend it's not meant for me to live in any city for more than few years. It's not easy to live this way.

Now to the subject of Falluja. I'm all for cleaning this city of terrorists who slaughtered many Iraqis for the last 18-months. Period. The marines should've finished this job last April. It would've saved a lot of Iraqi lives. Our biggest problem in Iraq is having to deal with 23 million emotional Iraqis. It's always sad when I hear people -- Iraqis and non-Iraqis -- calling those terrorists "resistance." It's like calling Hitler a decent person.

Most of the Iraqi-Sunni population is obsessed in finding faults about America's role in Iraq. They forgot how much Iraq needs their positive support. The Iraqi-Sunni say America went to Iraq for the oil. They say Americans are deliberately killing Iraqis, which is the new rumor some Iraqis put in their heads and has become a fact for them. They say all the Satanic things about America.

You were Saddam's favorite minority when he ruled Iraq. Get over it. He's gone forever. The Shia and Kurds are not going to blame you for the massacres he committed against them. Join the rest of the country in rebuilding a beautiful Iraq. Very soon you'll find yourselves left behind with the least sympathy from most of the world.

The Iraqi elections will be held very soon. Organize yourselves and participate in these elections. You're the most secular Muslims in Iraq. If you want to make a difference, it's your chance to do so during these elections. Whining and complaining will not fix anything. The rest of the country is already gearing up for these elections. You know you can do it too. Show the world that you really care about Iraq.

Can you tell I'm angry? So, I'll leave you with this joke -- Thanks Hani for the joke:
In Jerusalem, an American female journalist heard about an old rabbi who visited the Wailing Wall to pray, twice a day, everyday, for a long, long time.

In an effort to check out the story, she went to the holy site and there he was. She watched the bearded old man at prayer. After 45 minutes, when he turned to leave, she approached him for an interview.

"I'm Rebecca Smith from CNN, sir, how long have you been coming to the Wailing Wall and praying?" she asked.

"For about 50 years," he said.

"50 years! That's amazing! What do you pray for?" she asked.

"I pray for peace between the Jews and the Arabs. I pray for all the hatred to stop, and I pray for all our children to grow up in safety and friendship," he said.

"And how do you feel, sir, after doing this for 50 years?" she asked.

Without hesitation he said, "Like I'm talking to a f**king wall."

That's how I felt while writing this post.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

 

<< Home