Tuesday, October 19, 2004

This Can't Be True

Someone please tell me this is not true:

US President George W. Bush said he would accept an Islamic government in Iraq as the result of free elections.

Mr Bush told the Associated Press in an interview that he would accept such a result if elections were open and fair.

"I will be disappointed. But democracy is democracy," he said during an interview given on Air Force One.

"If that's what the people choose, that's what the people choose," he said. Free elections are expected in the country next January.

Islamic government? Is that what Iraqis really need?

I'm trying to analyze what the President said. I still can't figure out if what he said was lost in translation or he really meant it. I'm sure he's hoping for the best. But, reading this and watching what's currently happening in Iraq doesn't help people like me, who believe in separation of religion and government. It takes away the little hope left in our hearts.


UPDATE 10/20/2004
I received a good and logical explanation from Michael Openshaw:
What would have happened if Bush answered the opposite? He would be Saying to the Iraqi people 'We will allow you *only* the types of democracy we approve of'. Not exactly the message to deliver at this time.

If they *did* vote in an Islamic government and that government started getting abusive in any way, watch how fast the definition of 'accept' would be altered ;-)



Post Links:
Bush: I would accept Islamic Iraq
Data Troll

Links to this post:

Create a Link

 

<< Home