Friday, September 24, 2004

Iraq on American TV

I haven't been watching much of TV lately, except for "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" and Mark Cuban's reality show "The Benefactor." Yesterday, I decided to watch some TV. I didn't know I'd get nothing but Iraqi issues when I switched on the TV. It's kind of weird.

First, I watched Nightly News with Tom Brokaw on NBC. He had an interview with Iyad Allawi, who said Iraqi Justice minister made a mistake by announcing the Iraqi government will release the two women on Iraq's most wanted list. But, he said they may release eight people, who were on the Iraqi most wanted list. I'm not sure who those lucky eight are. If you can think of the eight most innocent people on the list, let me know because I can't think of anyone.

Second, I watched the season premier of Law and Order on NBC. Now, that was an interesting show to watch. An Iraqi-American woman got prosecuted for killing an American ex-reservist, who tortured soldiers at Abu-Ghraib prison. The episode debated the issues of the Iraq war from different views, which was good. But, I kept wondering all night if Hollywood sees all Iraqi-Americans as potential killers. No Hollywood; Iraqi-Americans are like the Iraqi bloggers. They may not agree with what's happening in Iraq. But, they won't ask for revenge by killing American soldiers. So, don't even try it.

Third, I watched Oprah Winfrey today on ABC. Now, that was more interesting. She interviewed an Iraqi teen who risked his life to help American troops capture the Mujahedeen in his area. It was a great story. At least Oprah thinks Iraqis are heroes.

What I like the most about her show is to watch her audiences with tears in their eyes. She somehow finds these tragic stories that make you cry. Of course, that's after you watched Dr. Phil who makes you feel bad about yourself because you're such a loser. I think Dr. Phil's show is more realistic.

Now, I'm afraid to switch to CBS. After my last three experiences with watching TV, I have no idea what to expect next. I guess I can watch the Travel channel. It's more entertaining.



Arabic Word of The Post:

television: تلفزيون - / til-fiz-yon /
radio: راديو - / Rad-yoo /

Links to this post:

Create a Link

 

<< Home