Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Empower The Iraqi Women

 
If there is one thing I'd like to see in the new Iraq, it would be empowered Iraqi women. A nice thing is happening in parts of Iraq these days, women are undergoing basic weaponry and first-aid training -- Thanks Greg for the link.

That's a good start. But -- and there is always but -- I'd like for someone to run self-defense courses for Iraqi women. I talked about it in one of my first posts. Not all American women know how to defend themselves against attackers, but at least they know the basics of self-defense. Also, American women are protected by many laws that make it stupid for men to attack them. Some men don't get caught for their crimes, but the ones caught get many years in prison.

Here, women can file a restraining order against any man who harasses her by any means. In Iraq, if a man stalks a woman, there isn't much she can do about it. The best she could do is tell her family, which mostly results in a restriction of her movements. This is something she won't want to happen. So, most of us rarely tell our families about any stalker we encounter on the streets.

Even under Saddam's tyranny, Iraqi women enjoyed THE BEST women rights in the Middle East. That's why most of the Iraqi bloggers went crazy when the old governing council tried to replace the Iraqi family law with an Islamic family law last January.

I must admit I'm less afraid for the future of Iraqi women after the announcement of the new Iraqi government. I hope the elected women will make a difference in the lives of their peers.

Sorry for not posting much during the last two weeks. I've been busy reading books. I needed to take a break from blogging. Now, I'm back to normal.




Arabic Word of The Post :

woman : إمرأة - / im-ra-'aa /
women : نساء - / nee-sA-'a /

Links to this post:

Create a Link

 

<< Home