Thursday, April 22, 2004

Fallen Angels From Basrah

I'm still sad about yesterday's attacks in Basrah. My sadness mounted when I read that Al-Amjad intermediary school for girls (where I finished my intermediary studies in Basrah) lost a few of their students in yesterday's bombing. One of the attacked buses was carrying these girls to my old school.

Ms. Salema Jaber Abd, a teacher at the school, showed reporters the names of killed and injured students. There were the traditional Muslim names such as Sula, Zeinab and Noor, alongside traditional Christian names such as Yvette, Joanna and Evelyn.

Ms. Salema said:

Five of our Christian girls are injured, one critically. These terrorists try to cause problems between Sunni and Shia Muslims and between Christians. Can’t they see we are all happy together?

Read more...

If you have not lived in Basrah, you would never understand why Basrawis are angry at what happened yesterday in our hometown, or what's been happening since the collapse of Saddam's regime. Ms. Salema said it best.

Whatever your religion is, please light a candle for the memory of these fallen angels, and for hope of recovery to the injured ones.

The prayer of St. Francis Assisi has been on my mind all day. It's helping me wash my anger. I would like to share it with everyone. It doesn't matter what you believe in, this prayer could be said by anybody. It's one of my favorites when it comes to difficult times.

Lord, make me an instrument of thy peace
Where there is hatred, let me sow love
Where there is injury, pardon
Where there is doubt, faith
Where there is despair, hope
Where there is darkness, light
Where there is sadness, joy

O Divine Master,
Grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console
To be understood as to understand
To be loved as to love

For it is in giving that we receive
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned
And it is in dying that we are born to eternal life

May God gives strength to Basrawis.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

 

<< Home