Saturday, March 06, 2004

The Internet And My Circle Of Friends

I read an article on Sydney Morning Herald titled "Confessions of a blogger." The article talks about Dallas-resident Leia Scofield's experience with the blogsphere. So, I decided to forget about world's current affairs today (they will still be there). I decided to write a "thank you" post to all my readers.

Today is the 4th anniversary of meeting Mark, my husband, on the Internet. We met a day before the North Texas Irish Festival. So, we're going to the festival this weekend.

A year later, we had our Justice of the Peace wedding. It was a day before St. Patrick's Day. I call it our immigration paperwork wedding. We had it before the church wedding so we could start the immigration process. I'm not sure how the Irish connection works for me. I know the internet does work for me.

When I started this blog, I hoped to find a few of my old friends from Iraq. I did. Here's the best instance:
A nice Basrawi guy named Hani Anders, who lives in Sweden, found my blog and recognized my name. He e-mailed my details to a dear friend of mine, who lives and works in Jordan. The friend e-mailed me back and asked if I still remember her. I did. It's not easy to forget good friends.

Hani, you have no idea how happy I was to receive Maysa's first e-mail after I lost contact with her 15 years ago.

Because Maysa is still living in the Middle East, she's in touch with many of the people we both know from Iraq. So, I'm finding more people than I thought when starting this blog.

On Feb 28, 2004, I wrote a post on higher education in Iraq and asked people to help Adli Juwaidah with his efforts to improve the work of the Department of Higher Education in Iraq. The next day, I received an e-mail from Hani telling me he knows Adli and his brother very well but lost contact with him 10 years ago. He was very happy to find him again.

Because of this blog, I now have a blend of good friends from different genders, religions and political preferences. That's how lucky I am.

OK. It's 6:27 a.m. I need some sleep. I'll be back to serious blogging next week if not earlier.

Have a nice weekend everyone.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

 

<< Home