Saturday, February 28, 2004

Higher Education In Iraq

For the last three months, I've been exchanging e-mails with Adli Juwaidah, who works for Department of Higher Education in Baghdad. We're becoming good friends and that's the wonderful part of having the Internet in our lives. We're becoming social people. Actually, the Middle Eastern and American people are the most social people I've met in my life.

Adli is working with other members of Department of Higher Education on rebuilding the department and improving its services. As you know from my biography, I worked for Department of Education from 1990-1993. The two departments buildings were like the twin towers. Identical architecture, different furniture and employees. The two buildings were built next to each other, which makes sense to many people.

The two buildings were looted during the glory days of Iraqi looters last April. I remember watching the footage on TV and wanting to cry and break the TV screen. It was like watching someone stealing my memories from me.

Adli sent me photos of the damage to Department of Higher Education building. He's asking for help to improve many things were he works. I'm posting his requests as I promised him. If you know of anyone who could help -- even with advice or suggestions -- please, ask them to contact Adli at this e-mail address.

Here's his suggestions for the department's educational needs:

  1. Scholarships for Postgraduate students (Master & Ph.D) in different fields and specializations.

  2. Programs for visiting professors to exchange experience and enable Iraqis to have an idea about higher education policies abroad.

  3. Training courses for public service employees in the Ministry of Higher Education (different kinds of programs for short periods of time)


While in the subject of Iraqi Higher Education, I found an interesting Web site for Iraqi Society for Higher Education Abroad. Some of the pages have dead links as they're still working on their Web site. I believe the members established this Web site after the collapse of the old regime in Iraq. It is good work and wonderful objectives for this new Iraqi society.

Thank you in advance for any help, advice or suggestions you may provide to Adli and his team after reading the post.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

 

<< Home