Tuesday, January 27, 2004

Assoc. of Patriotic Arab Americans in Military

APAAM - Association of Patriotic Arab Americans in Military was created after Sept. 11, 2001 to organize and represent current and former Arab-Americans in the United States military.

Here are some facts from their website:

  • More than 3,500 Arab-Americans currently serve in the U.S. armed forces.

  • More than 10,000 Muslims currently serve in the U.S. armed forces.

  • More than 7 per cent of the U.S. armed forces are foreign born.

  • They have served in every war and conflict since WWI to include:

    • WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam.

    • Beirut, Lebanon.

    • Operation Desert Storm/Shield 1991.

    • Operations in Kosovo.

    • Operation Enduring Freedom.

    • Operation Iraqi Freedom.

    • The Global War on Terrorism - GWOT.



An Arab-Australian signed their guest book. Here's his message:

I am not an Arab-American rather an Australian of Lebanese decent. I pondered on this site and was really amazed by how much pride / loyalty and admiration these fine American citizens / military officers have for the United States. This is a great thing to have that must be fostered. I must admit in Australia, Arab Australians do not share the same kind of appreciation for Australia as Arab Americans do for the USA.

This is really a great thing that I and many persons like minded admire.

For me, since I moved to Australia I had two identities. One part of me belonged to Iraq. The other part belonged to Australia. I loved both my identities. Now, I'm living with three identities: Iraqi, Australian and American. It's hard to do, but the American people make it easier to achieve with them welcoming the new arrivals to this country.

One Iraqi-Swedish reader was unhappy with the fact that I'm pro-America and for talking about elections 2004 more than talking about the killing of Christians in Basrah. For my reader I say, when I left Iraq, I looked for a country which would welcome me as a person -- the way I am. Australia offered me the feeling of belonging to a culture and country that I respect and love. Now, I'm in America, I'm making the best of my life here with it's ups and downs. You are an immigrant as I am. We both have feelings and loyality toward our native country. That still should not stop us from having pride in our new homes. We could always make the best on whatever shores our ships landed.

As the Huna religion beliefs are:

Trust yourself.
Expect the best.
Live in the present.

Live in the present is what I'm doing. My blog is about what's happening around me. It's not going to be a 100 per cent about Iraq, Australia, America, Iraqi food, elections 2004, Christians in Iraq or women rights. It will be all of these topics because they are all important for me - food in particular.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

 

<< Home