Friday, December 19, 2003

Poetic Justice

A reader from Chesterfield, MO sent me a story of an Iraqi person who had to live in a 3-foot-wide by 5-foot-high concrete room built under his mother's house for 21 years. Reason: He was hiding from Saddam's buddies, who were ordered to capture him and definitely execute him.

My reader called it "Poetic Justice" because of the way Saddam had to hide himself in a rathole since the fall of his regime last April.

I couldn't write for the last few days because of this story. I kept thinking of how many other untold stories are out there of Iraqi people who had to suffer for more than 30 years because of one psychopath.

I've been listening to the reports from the Middle East where many people (those who loved the tyrant) feel "humiliated" of the way he was showed on TV. Give me a break. Did they want the Americans to dress him in an Eve Saint Laurent suit so their feelings wouldn't be hurt?

I can't believe how these people can't be happy for the Iraqis. What kind of heart do they have? Possibly it's too hard for them to see the Iraqis happy for a change.

Let me tell you, my dear Arabs, that the Iraqi people are the humiliated party here. Do you think we wanted to live the way we lived for the last 33 years?.

There was one incident in my life when I felt how badly the tyrant humiliated my people the most. During Operation Desert Storm, my parents sent me; my youngest sister; and older sister, who was still living in Iraq at the time, to Missan, north of Basrah, to stay with uncle's family. The situation was better there than in Baghdad. We experienced a few scary nights, but over all we had a fun time during the day.

After Kuwait was liberated by the American army, Iraqi soldiers started withdrawing from Kuwait. Not all drove to Iraq. Most Iraqi soldiers had to walk all the way from Kuwait to Basrah, others had to keep walking to other parts of the country. After a few days of the withdrawal, they started arriving in Missan. My uncle, who has a golden heart and who lost his oldest son during Iran-Iraq war, came home from work with a sad look on his face. He told us how the soldiers were arriving tired, dirty and hungry. He asked the women if they could prepare food for the soldiers as quick as possible. My cousin made a big amount of Biryani rice and we already had another big amount of dolma (grape leaves stuffed with rice and meat). We took the food and headed to the road where the the soldiers were arriving in big numbers.

The humiliation I felt was when one army officer arrived with his soldiers in an army vehicle. The soldiers jumped from the vehicle, happy to see some food after days of starving. The officer stood there with a shocked look in his eyes. I still can't understand his look. Was he happy to see food after days of starving? Was he feeling humiliated to accept food from strangers on the road? Was he happy to be alive? I will never know. I know for sure I felt humiliated for what the tyrant did to his own army.

I'm trying to forgive the chicken-head for what he did to us so I could go on with my life. It's so hard to forgive. I don't think the Iraqis will ever be able to forgive. I wish he had killed himself, but God wanted to humiliate Saddam as Saddam did for many Iraqis for many years. That's God's, Godess', The Force's or whatever you believe in, justice in action.

Labels: ,

Links to this post:

Create a Link

 

<< Home